Translate this site:


Traducir esta sitio web.

Aug 9, 2011

Reflections of Baton Rouge

Reflections of Baton Rouge Louisiana
 

I can’t think of any place better than Baton Rouge to grow up in. In the late 40’s and early 50’s it was a small town who’s claim to fame was that it was the capital of Louisiana and it was just 70 miles from New Orleans. We were on the edge of Cajun Country, our western parish line was the Mississippi River, we were in the center of  the state and the brand new Interstate 10 was being built directly through our town. My mother owned a locally famous Donut shop and it felt good to be popular.

My earliest culinary memories were the afternoons we would take a family ride in our gray 46 Plymouth station wagon to Park Boulevard and buy hot tamales from Muffuelatto’s tamale cart located on the grass median at Government Street. Other favorite trips included hot and salty curly cue burgers from Alessi’s Drive Inn and the delicious crispy chicken box from Bernard's Chicken Shack. The Fleur de leis made their square Roman style pizza considered by most to be the best in town and the creamy Coke floats from Hopper’s drive in was one of my favorite sweet treats.

Like most people, I suppose, life changed towards adulthood and so did my town. My industrial sales job let me experience martini lunches at Leon’s Italian kitchen and white tablecloth food and service at Mike and Tony’s Restaurant. Sammy’s lounge, The Star Mist and Rip’s Huddle were my choices for night life and for dinning it was Dajonel’s for continental cuisine, Jubans for New Orleans Creole and Mike Anderson’s for the fried seafood. After that period of life, Baton Rouge grew beyond the plant worker’s town I had known all my life and the chain restaurants and night clubs more or less set the pace for entertainment and dining...

[Used by permission]
Mr. Lynn Anselmo
Tony's Donuts
Tony's Restaurant

Tony’s Donut Shop Chippewa Street at Plank Road
Served Baton Rouge from 1946 to 2004 and was considered by most to be the Best Donut in Town. The shop was created by my father, Anthony Anselmo (TONY). After his death in 1950, my mother, Grace, was in charge until we took over in 1974.


7 comments:

Mike Signs said...

Good article. Fleur de Lis is still the best pizza in town.

Nathaniel Lathan said...

I attended Istrouma Junior High School and as we walked from the Fairlield Area, we would stop by Tony's because they had the biggest & best honey buns in town.

Anonymous said...

Tony's had the best honeybuns ever. I can remember stopping there a many of days after school. Thank You Anselmo Family

Unknown said...

In the early '80s and I was in fourth grade we moved from MN to LA due to my father's job transfer. It was so scary to me as a child. In looking back I will say I have fond memories but especially the times my father would take me to get Tony's donuts. He used to say "they might just be better than back home". They were and it was and those trips & donuts with my dad that made being in a new city, school, etc just a little easier. Thank you !!

Unknown said...

Please please PLEASE... bring TONY'S donuts back!!!

Owner of this blog said...

Thanks for your comment above, I feel your passion. I say bring back the 1950s back again (I was raised in that in that era), but some history must remain a memory and Mr. Tony Anselmo is deceased

Unknown said...

I grew up in Baton Rouge and had the opportunity to enjoy "all" the culinary delights mentioned above. I often tell others (including my grandchildren) about Tony's Donuts. There never was and never will be anything else like them. As a teenager, I worked at Pak-A-Sak. I relished the days they would deliver them to the store in the distinctive wax paper bags. I didn't make much back then, but I always found the change for a half dozen of those incredible treats. What I wouldn't give for the recipe!